Roman Coffins & Other Finds
In 1903 a Roman lead coffin was discovered in the Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Duston, followed by a Roman well in 1905 and finally a Roman mausoleum in 1908, while hundreds of Anglo-Saxon remains were being uncovered in the same area. In the 1970s a mosaic would be reported nearby.
The coffin pictured was found at Duston in 1908 in the Roman mausoleum. It was seven feet below the surface, in a four-foot thick walled enclosure with other skeletons and coffin nails. The enclosure was of local limestone, but the coffin was of Barnack limestone. Perhaps brought up river in view of its size and weight, the coffin was placed in Abington Museum, Northampton, where it can still be seen.
Bronze Head of Lucius VerusA small bronze head of Lucius Verus, who ruled the Roman empire jointly with Marcus Aurelius (between 161-169 AD) was found at Duston some time before 1870 in the Romano-British cemetery on the northern side of the Roman town. It was designed to be attached to a ceremonial staff, and probably used at a temple site. Such staffs formed part of the regalia of rural shrines and may imply that the imperial cult was included in the rites of the temple.
See AlsoDuston in Roman Times
Roman Road in Duston
Map of Romano-British Town